What Should I Do If My Boiler Smells Like Gas?
If your boiler smells like gas, this can be a sign of a potentially serious problem that needs inspecting immediately.
Whilst our boiler cover and insurance promises repair of your boiler in the event of a breakdown, we recommend a gas specialist looks at your boiler straight away if you smell gas. This is to ensure that your boiler is completely safe for both your home and your health.
If you smell gas from your boiler, you should immediately report a suspected gas leak to the National Gas Emergency Helpline by calling 1234 567 890.
You should also adhere to the following guidelines to maintain safety whilst you wait for a Gas Safety Engineer to arrive:
- Make sure all doors and windows are open
- Switch off your gas supply and ensure it stays off until you have been informed that it is safe to switch back on by a Gas Safety Engineer.
- Don’t operate electrical switches
- Don’t smoke cigarettes
- Don’t light naked flames (such as candles), matches or cigarette lighters
- Avoid turning on lights or any devices connected to the electrics
- If you feel unwell, visit your GP or hospital immediately and let them know that you may have been exposed to carbon monoxide
What could cause my boiler to smell like gas?
If you’re wondering why your boiler smells like gas, there are a multitude of reasons that could be causing it. If you have home emergency boiler cover but recognise signs of a potentially serious gas leak, for example, a rotten egg smell, we always recommend contacting a gas safety specialist. A specialist can provide a proper diagnosis in case a dangerous situation was to occur.
- Gas leak
- Circuits or elements becoming too hot
- Build-up of dust
We offer an optional boiler service with our home emergency cover packages, allowing you to keep track of your boiler’s health on an annual basis. For more information, view our boiler cover packages and get an instant quote online.
Choose a plan to suit you…
Boiler & Heating
Boiler, Heating & Utilities
Boiler, Heating, Plumbing & Drainage
All Prices Include IPT. Domestic Warranty Shop Ltd. is an Appointed Representative of ES Risks Limited which is Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority: Registered in England and Wales, Reg.565023 No.12099297. We are covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service. You can find out more at financial-ombudsman.org.uk